Apr 13, 2024

Law or Grace, part 1...

 By Fred Gillett, Crystal Cathedral Pastor

"For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ..." 

-Luke 22:20


Law vs. grace - one of the major divisions in scriptures. "For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ" (John 1:17). My understanding of the differences between these two covenants is of utmost importance to me as I live the Christian life as I believe God intended.


I am talking about my relationship to God through Jesus, not about religions of the world. Those outside of a relationship with Christ are under the code of their beliefs. Without Christ and his covenant, I am dead in my sins as are they.


God's law tells me that He desires holiness to characterize the way in which I live, but a paradox arises when "man" attempts to define "holiness" and exercise control over my actions to prove or disprove my portion of God's grace in and through Jesus.


Pastor Bob Hoekstra, the founder and director of Living in Christ Ministries, writes, "Only through God's grace can his love permeate my attitude and relationships...Only God's grace is sufficient to carry out such a process of transformation."


Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for both law and grace. Help me to find your balance between the two. Thank you for the law that brings me to Christ and for the grace that allows me to grow in my Savior's wisdom and love. Amen.


Devotion: Have you ever been confused in your faith by someone defining it by his or her interpretation of the law? How did God's grace heal you from that confusion? -Hour of Power


No comments:

Post a Comment