Jan 29, 2017

My Suffering, My Joy...

"He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." -2 Corinthians 12:9-10

by Rev. Bobby Schuller

The greatest source of suffering in my life weighs about 16 pounds, is in a diaper, and cries throughout the night. My new son wakes up every two or three hours. When I've been up late or have to get up early, it's hard to be woken in the middle of the night to rock him back to sleep or change his diapers. And every time I want to go out, I have to work it out with my wife or get a babysitter. I've lost some freedom, and I'm tired. So, honestly, the greatest source of suffering in my life right now is this little newborn baby in our house.

On the other hand, one of the greatest joys and happiness and fulfillment is what I have in my little boy. When I see his little chubby cheeks and those thighs with little wrinkles from the fat, to see that little boy, I'm overwhelmed with love.

You can't have one without the other. You can't live life and hope to never experience pain, struggle, or suffering. You can't have a fulfilled, wonderful life without also understanding that suffering is coming. A life without pain is not a fulfilled life. A life without pain is numb.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for taking my weakness and turning it into strength, and for showing me that within my suffering is also great joy. For, when I'm overwhelmed, it's a perfect opportunity to lean on you. Amen.

Reflection: In what area of your life are you feeling a little wimpy right now? What part of your weakness can you give to the Lord so that he can make you strong? -Hour of Power

No comments:

Post a Comment