Apr 24, 2016

Double-Mindedness


By Pastor Bobby Schuller

"But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do."\-James 1:6-8

We live in a world that is so double-minded. We want to have our cake and we want to eat it, too. But we can't!

Many men today, for example, don't want to get married but have, instead, lots of sexual partners. Imagine putting a corn kernel into the ground, burying it, watering it, and seeing it grow, but when it comes out of the ground, you think, "I don't want corn. I'm going to rip this corn out and throw it away. I want cabbage." So, you put a cabbage seed in the ground, water it, and take care of it, but then you think, "I don't want cabbage," and you throw it away. "I want to grow carrots."

This is what people are doing today. There's no devotion. There's no focus. There's no structure. But, when a man chooses one woman, marries her, makes her the focus of his life, he thinks, "I'm going to put an apple seed in the ground, and I'm going to water it. As I grow old, we're going to grow old together. I may occasionally think about having some corn, cabbage, or carrots, but apples it is!"

As mature believers, we can't have everything. Every decision has a thousand consequences. We have to know that to grow, we can't have everything, but we can have one thing, and that one thing is a focused and fulfilling ability to glorify God and enjoy him forever!

Prayer: Dear Lord, as your beloved child, I know I can't have everything I want in this world, but I can have all I need in your glorious kingdom. Amen.

Reflection: How have you been double-minded in life? What has helped you to focus more on God's ultimate purpose for your life? -Hour of Power

No comments:

Post a Comment